<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 07, 2005

Work sucks right now, and I barely have time to tend to my basic needs, let alone blog. However, I heard something on NPR yesterday that made me sit up and take notice, even in my current harried state.

Apparently, for the first time ever, we are sending an amputee soldier back into combat in Iraq. This is being hailed by military officials as a triumph of spirit and a ringing endorsement of our mission: "What we're doing in Iraq must be good and just because Captain Dumbshit is going back for more even after losing a leg. URAH!!" They've even gone so far as to call it a step toward eliminating disability discrimination.

As I've said many times, reality hasn't just outpaced satire, it's kicking the shit out of it.

We're running out of soldiers. First, it's the injured, then it's the aged and, eventually, it's the children. Bush in his hubris has broken the military's back, and it's unclear whether it will ever recover.
Comments:
one of the things that breaks my heart is the resemblance of iraq to vietnam not in some trivial or even obvious way to the average american -- but in the fact that vietnam did tremendous damage to the military and to soldiers (above and beyond casualties to be expected in wartime); W has indeed broken the military
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?